Show your support: Donate Now


 

HRCBM Videos on destitute minorities of Bangladesh

Loading...

Chittagong Hill Tract Massace

Loading...

Mahachari Massacre

Loading...

Support HRCBM: Please donate Now

$

Monday, March 1, 2010

Raw Video: Gathering and speach before visiting Bangaldesh Embassy in Japan / 25 Feb 2010

Raw video: The protest procession against Killings in Baghaihat / on 25 Feb 2010 Japan

A 15-year old indigenous girl gang-raped

Source: Bangladesh Institute of Human Rights (BIHR)


A fifteen year old indigenous girl from the Hazong community has been gang raped by a gang of local Bengali lechers at Bandra village in Moddhonagar police station under Sunamgong district. On 26 February 2010 around 6.30 pm, Angoli Hajong, daughter of Shailon Hazong was abducted while washing her face at the tube well in front of her house. Her family at the time was engaged in their daily chores outside of the house. She was taken to the baank of nearby Moheskhali River tighten her mouth by towel (Gamsa) and repeatedly raped mercilessly. The alleged perpetrators are Al Amin, Shimul, Nirob, Mojnu and Alamgir. The perpetrators left her there when she became unconscious.

By night time, her family began to search for her when she remained absent. By 8 pm that evening, she was found unconscious by the side of the Moheskhali River. On 27 February 2010 family members of the victim tried to lodge a complaint against the perpetrators at Moddhonagar Police station but the officer in charge refused to file it. Later, with the help of the Hazong community leader, a case has been filed against the five perpetrators by Mr. Nayeb Hajong who is the uncle of the victim. The case number is 7/9-1/30 dated 27.02.2010 under Nari O Shishu Nirjaton Doman Bishesh Ain. Moreover the medical examination has been completed by the RMO of Sunamgong district yet no perpetrators have been arrested. Furthermore the victim’s family is being intimidated to withdraw the case by a local influential Bengali community leader.

BIHR has taken the initiative to talk to the officer in charge of Moddhonagar Police station on 28 February 2010 around at 7:14 pm. and the OC said that there is no incident regarding the rape of a Hazong girl since no case had been filed under his jurisdiction. He refused to give out anymore information regarding this incident.


Bangladesh Institute of Human Rights (BIHR), Bangladesh Rehabilitation Center for Trauma Victims (BRCT) and Bangladesh Hasong Development Association is deeply concerned and demand that the perpetrators be brought to justice as well as give the exemplary punishment by arresting them immediately. It also demands that the victim and her family be given adequate financial, physiological and psychological support ASAP

CHT Violence Dhaka terms EU claims baseless

Source: The Daily Star News

The government on Saturday outright rejected the observation of the European Union in a statement issued on recent incidents of Chittagong Hill Tracts.

Terming the observation of the EU as baseless and unfounded, a release of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said such statement would not help the process of implementing the CHT Peace Treaty, reports BSS.

Rather, such statement would encourage those who chose to instigate instability in the CHT, the ministry said adding Bangladesh expects the EU to act responsibly and in a constructive manner.

Saying the EU statement as an unfortunate one, the release said, the initial consideration of the EU (prima facie), it is not based on any actual fact-finding exercise on the part of EU or any consultation with the government of Bangladesh.

As such, it does not offer any corroborating evidence in support of the allegations raised.

The EU in its statement said the EU is aware of allegations that the incident involved army personnel and labourers employed by army.

The government draws attention to the fact that--it was the Awami League government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in her previous term, that took the bold step to conclude the CHT Peace Accord in order to bring back peace, security and stability in the area, said the foreign ministry release.

The present government, after assuming office in January last year, made no delay in resuming the process of full implementation of the accord.

As part of this process, a good number of military camps were withdrawn from the hill districts, the functioning of the CHT Land Commission was reinvigorated, and more power and tasks were transferred to CHT local councils.

The government attaches special emphasis on the socio-economic development of the people living in the CHT, with particular focus on the marginal and vulnerable groups, specially the ethnic minorities, it said.

Cases have been lodged and police have arrested suspected perpetrators following the incidents of February 19 and 20.

The government has also provided house-building and other relief materials for affected families as well as cash allowances.

The government has taken steps to promote harmony and understanding between the communities in the CHT following which several widely participated solidarity rallies were also held in the hill districts, it said.

Bangladesh government wishes to reiterate its commitment to 'zero tolerance' against impunity. Persons found responsible for instigating or committing acts of violence on February 19 and 20 in the CHT, will be brought to book.

The release said the government expects full understanding and cooperation from the friends of Bangladesh.

The government is committed towards the full implementation of the CHT accord, it added.

Statement by the spokesperson of HR Catherine Ashton, on the acts of violence in Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh

EUROPEAN UNION Brussels, 26 February 2010

A 26/10


The spokesperson of Catherine Ashton, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and

Security Policy and Vice President of the Commission, issued the following statement today on the

acts of violence in Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh:

"The EU strongly condemns the acts of violence that took place in the Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT)

in Bangladesh on 19 and 20 February 2010.

The EU has received reports that in a number of villages in the Rangamati District, and notably

in Gangarmodor Baghaihat, a number of people belonging to indigenous groups have been killed,

up to 400 houses belonging to the indigenous population of the area burned down and a similar

number of indigenous families displaced. The EU is aware of allegations that the incident involved

army personnel and labourers employed by the army.

The EU calls upon the Government of Bangladesh to swiftly and thoroughly follow up with an

independent investigation of this incident and of the allegations that the armed forces were

involved. The EU calls upon the Government of Bangladesh to ensure that the perpetrators of these

shameful acts are brought to justice.

It is the constitutional responsibility of the Government of Bangladesh to ensure the protection and

the fundamental rights of all its citizens. Incidents such as this have no place in an inclusive and

tolerant society.

The EU is also concerned about the wider impact that this violence may have on the stability of the

CHT region as well as on Bangladesh's international reputation, and calls on the relevant authorities in Bangladesh to take more effective measures to implement the CHT Peace Accord."

P R E S S

FOR FURTHER DETAILS:

Lutz Guellner - Spokesperson for the High Representative

+32 498/964 641 - +32 2 296 46 41 e-mail: COMM-SPP-HRVP-ASHTON@ec.europa.eu

www.eeas.europa.eu

Army helped settlers to torch houses: Indigenous people

Source: The Daily Star

A group of indigenous people on Monday alleged that the houses in Baghaichhari in Rangamati were torched by Bangalee settlers belonging to Shama Odhikar Andolon with direct help from army.

The people who claimed to have lost their houses to the attacks said they identified four members of the organisation, founded during the BNP regime, and five army personnel who incited the violence.

Former BNP Lawmaker Wadud Bhuiyan was the founding adviser of the organisation.

At a press conference on Monday, the indigenous people placed a six-point demand including immediate arrest and punishment to the people involved in the Baghaichhari violence.

They gave 17 names of Bangalee settlers who were allegedly involved in arson attacks.

The leaders of Shama Odhikar Andolon who were held responsible for inciting the violence are Abdullah, Mofiz, Ruhul and Selim.

Gyanendo Chakma read out a written statement at the press conference.

Sajek Bhumi Rakkha Committee organised the press conference at the National Press Club where members of the affected indigenous families were present.

On Monday, the authorities lifted Section-144 from the entire Baghaichhari upazila that was imposed immediately after the violence broke out.

Baghaichhari Upazila Nirbahi Officer Bashiur Haque Bhuiyan said the decision to lift the restriction came at a meeting of the authorities with local leaders, both tribal and non-tribal, public representatives, civil and military officials.

AI asks for probe into army role in hill violence

Source: The Daily Star

File photo

Amnesty International has called upon the government to carry out a prompt, independent and impartial investigation into the deaths of two Jumma indigenous residents of the Chittagong Hill Tracts after the army opened fire on them on February 20.

"Carry out prompt, impartial, and independent investigation into these attacks and killings to identify individuals, who set houses on fire, and army personnel, who may have used excessive force, and bring those responsible to justice in a fair trial without resorting the death penalty," Amnesty International said in a statement.

It also asked the authorities to ensure that the detainees have access to lawyers of their own choices, family visits and medical treatment, can challenge the legality of their detentions and are not at risk of torture.

"Compensate the victims and survivors of the attacks, rehabilitate the people, who have lost their homes and belongings, and provide them with medical treatment for their injuries," the statement added.

It asked the government to allow independent observers to visit the sites of the violence, and ensure the security of the Jumma indigenous people in the Chittagong Hill Tracts.