Submitted by PCJSS
On 16 August 2009 a group of BDR of 15 Battalion from Naikhyongchari camp and RAB jointly conducted operation at Baishari area under Naikhyongchari upazila in Bandarban district in the name of rescuing supervisor of rubber plantation Mr. Hefazuddin. It is mentionable that Mr. Hefazuddin and labourer of the plantation Md. Najer were kidnapped on 15 August allegedly by an extortionist group led by Prokash Chakma who introduces himself a member of UPDF. Later, the kidnappers released Md. Najer and demanded ransom for releasing of supervisor of rubber plantation Mr. Hefazuddin.
It is learnt that during the operation, the BDR and RAB first encircled the Badurjiri Chak Para under Naikhyongchari upazila and caught following 7 innocent jum cultivators belong to Chak community:
1) Mr. Aungchagya Chak (37) s/o Thuila Khai Chak;
2) Mr. Khijari Chak Karbari (50)
3) Mr. Chathau Chakma (27) s/o Khijari Chak
4) Mr. Athui Chak (33)
5) Mr. Lagya Aung Chak (47) s/o late Ching Swe Chak
6) Mr. Swemong Sing Chak (18) s/o Lagya Aung Chak
7) Mr. Kyasing Mong Chak (30) s/o late Thuihla Khoi Chak.
Soon after the arrest, they were taken to a local primary school and tortured brutally there. Then they except Aungchagya Chak were released. Aungchagya Chak was kept under BDR custody since the arrest. He was not handed over to police authority and even produced before court till 23 August while the report writing.
Again, on 22 August 2009 BDR and RAB jointly conducted operation to rescue the kidnapped person. They took following 12 indigenous Chak villagers as helpers for searching operation:
1) Mr. Uchai Thowai Chak, (30) s/o Mongyeng Chak of Headman Para;
2) Mr. Uswe Ching Chak, (40) s/o Kyaja Chak of Headman Para;
3) Mr. Kyajairi Chak (38) of Headman Para;
4) Mr. Uchinh Mong Chak (15), a student of grade X, s/o Dhungcha Aung Chak of Upper Chak Para;
5) Mr. Aung Shajai Chak (15), a student grade X, s/o Basaik Chak of Upper Chak Para;
6) Mr. Chai Thowaihla Chak (30) s/o Raima Aung Chak of Upper Chak Para;
7) Mr. Uchagya Chak (20) s/o Chai Aung Chak of Madyam Chak Para;
8) Mr. Uthowai Mong Chak (50) s/o late Thowai Aungya Chak of Madyam Chak Para;
9) Mr. Chai Aung Chak (50) s/o Kyajahla Chak of Madyam Chak Para;
10) Mr. Chathui Aung Chak (30) s/o late Nithowai Hla Chak of Madyam Chak Para;
11) Mr. Kyaching Chak (13) s/o Chaihla Mong Chak of Madyam Chak Para;
12) Mr. Dhungchai Aung Chak (18) s/o Athui Chak of Madyam Chak Para.
But BDR and RAB failed to rescue the kidnapped person. Due to failing, they became angry upon the helpers of innocent Chak villagers. Then the Chak villagers were gathered to a local junior high school and inhumanly started to torture by turn by the BDR and RAB there. Besides them, the following Chak villagers were also brutally tortured by the BDR and RAB at the junior high school:
1) Mr. Machingla Chak (12) s/o Jani Aung Chak of Upper Chak Para;
2) Mr. Kramaching Chak (18) s/o Jani Aung Chak of Upper Chak Para;
3) Ms. Nongkhain Chak (25) w/o Uchaka Chak of Upper Chak Para;
4) Mr. Dhungcha Aung Chak (48) s/o Raima Aung Chak of Upper Chak Para;
5) Mr. Chingchala Chak (47) s/o Dhongneo Chak of Upper Chak Para.
After meeting retaliation, most of villagers were set free on 22 August, but 7 innocent villagers were kept under BDR custody. It is also learnt that more 4 villagers were also released on 23 August afternoon, but following Chak villagers are still under BDR custody without producing before court as per the laws:
1) Mr. Janing Aung Chak (55) (a primary school teacher) s/o late Mongcha Thowai Chak;
2) Ms. Janimey Chak (50) w/o Janing Aung Chak;
3) Ms. Lachau Chak (45) w/o Swe Jaiu Chak;
4) Mr. Aungchagya Chak (37) s/o Thuila Khai Chak.
BDR and RAB personnel threatened that all the villagers would be put in jail and indigenous Chak villages would be evicted if the villagers failed to rescue the kidnapped Bengali person. The villagers of indigenous Chak community at Baishari areas under Naikhyongchari are living with fears and insecurity.