2 Jummas injured, 12 beaten, 5 houses ransacked
On 21 December 2010, innocent Jumma villagers of Shantinagar of Gulshakhali union under Longadu upazila (sub-district) of Rangamati hill district were attacked by a group of Bengali settlers from nearby Bengali settler areas. In this communal attack, 2 Jummas were injured, 12 were beaten and 5 houses were ransacked.
It is learnt that on that day early in the morning a group of Bengali settlers went to a nearby area belongs to Jumma villager to collect wood and bamboo. The Jumma villagers opposed them to collect wood and bamboo from their land and at a stage Jumma villagers beat one Bengali settler named Md. Imtaz (25) of village- Choumuhani area of Gulshakhali union. However, he could return to his home almost safely. But, soon after coming back home, he rapidly spread the news of the incident and tried to make the Bengali settlers agitated.
Around 12:00 to 1:00 pm a group of Bengali settlers numbering 33-35 equipped with sharp weapons made the communal attack on Jumma area of village- Shantinagar. In the attack, following 12 Jumma villagers were detained and beaten severely by the attackers:
(1) Mr. Dhak Badhi Chakma (25) s/o Dal mohan Chakma of village- Shantinagar;
(2) Mr. Binay Chandra Chakma Maratto (40) s/o Dal Mohan Chakma of village- do;
(3) Mr. Milan Chakma (30) s/o unknown of village- do;
(4) Mr. Ripan Chakm (25) s/o unknown of village- do;
(5) Mr. Samarpan Dewan (20) s/o Banu Dipak Dewan of village- do;
(6) Mr. Karun Chakma (37) s/o unknown of village- do;
(7) Mr. Bawm Chakma (43) s/o unknown of village- do;
(8) Mr. Himel Chakma (18) s/o Bivishon Chakma of village- do;
(9) Mr. Subha Shanti Chakma (23) s/o Bawm Chakma of village- do;
(10) Mr. Palash Chakma (18) s/o Mahendra Chakma of village- do;
(11) Mr. Riten Chakma s/o Rasik Mohan Chakma of village- do;
(12) Mr. Suman Chakma s/o Reboti Mohan Chakma of village- do.
Of the above victims, Mr. Dhak Badhi Chakma (25) and Mr. Binay Chandra Chakma Maratto (40) were injured severely and admitted to Longadu hospital. Besides, in the attack, the Bengali settlers ransacked following 5 houses:
(1) Mr. Barun Kumar Chakma s/o Sonaram Chakma;
(2) Mr. Raj Mohan Chakma s/o unknown;
(3) Mr. Kala Chiji Chakma s/o unknown;
(4) Mr. Bimal Shanti Chakma s/o unknown;
(5) Mr. Binay Chandra Chakma s/o Dal Mohan Chakma.
It is learnt that the following two persons led the whole attack:
(1) Mr. Abu Hanif (45), village- Juba Laxmi Para, member of No. 9 ward of Gulshakhali union council;
(2) Mr. Rufijuddin (40) s/o Khalekh, Member of No. 8 Rahamatpur ward of Gulshakhali union council.
It is learnt that BDR personnel of Raj Nagar camp did not oppose Bengali settlers while settlers were going to attack on Jumma villagers. At a stage, a group of BDR led by Lt. Colonel Habib with Major Aminul of BDR went there and saved the Jumma villagers from being beaten.
Later, an emergency meeting was arranged with the leaders concerned led by Lt. Colonel Habib and UNO. Mr. Sukhamoy Chakma, ex-UP Chairman, Mr. Premlal Chakma, President of Headman Association of Longadu, Mr. Moni Sankar Chakma, President of Juba Samiti of Longadu also attended the meeting on behalf of the Jumma community. In the meeting, the following decisions were made:
(1) A co-ordination meeting will be held on next 23 December 2010 in this regard;
(2) In the meantime, no Bengali person will be allowed to go to Jumma areas and no Jumma person will be allowed to go to Bengali areas without permission of the Zone Headquarter Commander Lt. Colonel Habib.
It is learnt that (1) Md. Abdur Rahim, general secretary of Longadu upazila Awami League, (2) Md. Halim, acting Headman of Gulshakhali mouza (Awami League leader) and (3) Abu Taleb, acting chairman of Gulshakhali union and also BNP leader was the main instigator and conspirator behind this entire communal provocation.
Further tension and gathering to attack
Though, it was a decision to hold a co-ordination meeting on 23 December 2010, the meeting was postponed and again determined to hold on 27 December 2010. In the meantime, on 24 December 2010 in the evening, the Bengali settlers again tried to create tension and make attack on nearby Jumma villagers of Shanti Nagar village. The Bengali settlers even gathered and proceeded towards the Jumma village. Jumma villagers also tried to gather in order to oppose the opponent. In this circumstance, Jumma leaders then informed UNO of the fact and requested to take urgent measure. Then, a group of BDR rushed to the spot and stopped the settlers and made them come back.
New BDR camp set up on Jumma land
Following the communal tension, on 23 December 2010 BDR set up a camp at middle place in between the Bengali settler village and Jumma village and a group of BDR numbering 30-32 of Raj Nagar BDR zone headquarter took their position there. BDR also cleared the bushes around the newly built camp that almost covers 5-6 acres of land. It is mentionable that the camp was set up on land belongs to two Jumma villagers with due records. BDR constructed the camp occupying a BRAC school and 2 houses of Jummas. The owners of the land are as follows:
(1) Santosh Chakma (35) s/o Bhulsing Chakma, village- Gyana Ratan Karbari Para, Shanti Nagar; case number of his land is 953.
(2) Sharat Chandra Chakma (38) s/o Madan Kumar Chakma, village- do; case number of his land is 1485.
(3) Mr. Nabin Kumar Chakma s/o Bhulsing Chakma, village- Gyana Ratan Karbari Para, Shanti Nagar
(4) Mr. Shanti Moni Chakma s/o Remesh Chandra, village- Gyana Ratan Karbari Para, Shanti Nagar, case no. of his land is 821
Jumma’s land grabbed by Bengali settlers
Following the attack, Bengali settlers led by Raju Khalifa (Rajnagar), Ramdan (VDR Nayek) and Alal (Rajnagar) have been trying to grab at least 30 acres of lands belong to 10 Jumma villagers. It is mentionable that Jumma villagers have been cultivating these lands for decades. Jumma villagers put objection to the BDR camp authority and local administration, but no action has been taken so far. If the land grabbing is continued, then 10 villages of 800 families numbering 8,000 Jummas will be uprooted from this area.
The owners of the lands whose lands have being tried to occupy by Bengali settlers-
1. Anil Chakma (25) s/o Maya Ranjan Chakma of Chato Malya
2. Sharat Kumar Chakma (35) s/o Thakur Chakma of Chato Malya
3. Sonadhan Chakma (35) s/o Ekanya Chakma of Chato Malya
4. Birbahu Chakma (45) s/o Indrajoy Chakma of Chato Malya
5. Sushil Kumar Chakma (50) s/o Sidalya Chakma of Chato Malya
6. Anil Chakma (45) s/o Batya Chakma of Chato Malya
7. Shambumoni Chakma (50) s/o late Sida Chakma of Chato Malya
8. Dayal Chakma (40) s/o Surendra Chakma of Chato Malya
9. Sura Lal Chakma (45) s/o Nalini Mohan Chakma of Chato Malya
10. Debendra Chakma (35) s/o Ramani Mohan Chakma of Chato Malya.
(Parbatya Chattagram Jana Samhati Samiti)